Sunday, August 14, 2011

Happy VJ Day.

VJ Day, Honolulu Hawaii, August 14, 1945 from Richard Sullivan on Vimeo.

My mom sent this video to me a couple of months ago.

Amazing footage of VJ Day in Hawaii.

I remember my dad telling me about being in San Francisco on VJ Day. He and a friend were playing on the hill where they controlled the fifty, or so, air raid sirens. He remember a group of soldiers coming up the hill and telling him that the war was over and then setting off the sirens. The whole city was one big party after that. Amazing.

There is a quick shot of a man grabbing a woman's head and directing it at the camera. It's so physical and inappropriate. Were people more physical with each other in general back then?

I have some old footage from the 1930's and there are several incidents of men jerking women around, physically forcing them to be on camera. Not something you commonly see nowadays. Interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment