Monday, April 2, 2012

Daily poster: The Sword and the Sorcerer.



The Sword and the Sorcerer.
Happy 30th birthday to The Sword and the Sorcerer, which was released in April 1982 (I can't find the exact date.)
I remember being blown away by the commercials as a kid. A THREE-BLADED SWORD! Wait a second, did that blade just SHOOT OUT!!!
When I saw the film as an adult, there was no way it could live up to the legendary masterpiece I had in my head. However, within the 80's, Rated-R, fantasy flick genre, The Sword and the Sorcerer is pretty darn close to a classic.
The film was released at the same time as Conan, so it never really had a chance, in terms of box office gold. The Sword and the Sorcerer is hazy, dark, gory, and has a good pace. It is good, corny, fun. I mean come on, it's got Richard Lynch, Lee Horsely, and Richard Moll all covered in gore.
The end of the film has a title card:


The sequel was finally made and released in 2010. It stars Kevin Sorbo. I haven't seen it yet. I'll have to see if they kept it in the Rated-R realm or softened it up.
Here's the trailer. "Dungeons and dragons. Serpents and splendor. Danger and desire."


There is a much better poster over on Wrong Side of the Art, but their site seems to be down at this moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment