Sunday, February 26, 2012

Smoke and Mirrors: The Story of Tom Savini.


Special effects grand master, Tom Savini's book, Grand Illusions was one of my many bibles as a child. The book is tantamount to a magician's tell-all. Tom Savini writes in detail, exactly how he created each monster, murder, and machination for each film he worked on.

He gives the recipe for the fake blood he used in each of his films.
He goes step-by-step on how to make fake fangs.
I knew how to slit a throat and drive an arrow through a neck before I was actually allowed, by my parents, to see the films.

I also got to meet Mr. Savini very briefly at my one and only Hollywood party, put on by Film Threat Magazine. Most of the party was spent listening to Frank Stallone talk about hookers, 8-balls, stuffed buffaloes, and Universal horror films.

Grand Illusions is an amazing book and it still sits on my bookshelf.

While Fangoria produced a decent documentary on Savini in the 80's, someone is finally giving him the star treatment he deserves. Smoke and Mirrors: The Story of Tom Savini is in post-production and needs our help.

They only need about three hundred more bucks to obtain their Kickstarter goal. There are some pretty sweet goodies for donators as well. Check it.

Below is Part One of Scream Greats #1: Tom Savini, the Fangoria produced documentary:


No comments:

Post a Comment